Roy, I have seen one dark-morph Red-tailed Hawk in many hours spanning 25 years of observing in Vermont.  The point being; anything's possible and you saw what you saw.  They may be more prevalent in the west but they do occur here. Ted Murin has reported a dark morph Broadwing and many (including me) have seen albino and leucistic Red-Tails. Hawks are more variable than many other birds species.  One more reason to love them!

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen:112009v2