A  “Thank You” for those who responded to  “Your Thoughts” in response to
my posting of a dark buteo-like bird at East  Creek in Orwell.  I welcome
the  “thoughts” for the simple reason that the experiences of others when
shared add  to an expansion of our collective understanding, awareness and
appreciation.
One point of  explanation: by banner marks I meant “contrasting colors and
or patterns”,  readily seen with the naked eye or binoculars such as, dark
sub terminal band,  barred belly, red tail or black carpal patch.
I have viewed “Clark  and Wheeler, Hawks, (1987)”, images of both a
Rough-legged Hawk, dark morph  immature and the Red-tailed Hawk, dark morph adult.
 While lighting conditions of those  images relative to that prevailed for
my observation, the predominant dark  appearance [afternoon sun over my
right shoulder], the relative clarity of my  view, [~75 meters with binoculars],
the subjective “jiz” of the bird, [heft,  flight] and the absence of any
clear banner markings, I come down in favor of a  Red-tailed Hawk, dark
morph.
Whether this is a  valid conclusion or not, the next time an observer in
Vermont is presented with  a similar identification challenge, the forgoing
discussions and conclusion may  be of some help.

Cheers,
Roy Pilcher
The Gables at East Mountain, Rutland,  Vermont

Speaking the same language.