From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Donna Beales
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 10:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Time to Lose Cutsie NLM Names?

I can't remember if anyone else has commented about the "cutsie" names
NLM has provided to us for their products, I believe someone has before,
but today I feel the need to reiterate (regurgitate?), i.e. rant!

I'm trying to launch Magnet strategies to increase library usage to
nurses with little or no internet research background, and I have to
tell them they need to sign up for "Loansome Doc."  Imagine how
unprofessional this ditty must sound to neophyte non-librarian ears.  I
know how it grated on mine the first time I heard it!

Our profession already has a credibility problem in the eyes of clinical
personnel.  The zippy names are not helping and they *need to go.*  I
plan to send NLM a note.  I hope others who feel this way as well will
follow suit at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/ehelp?Ncbi_App=entrez&Db=pubmed

Donna Beales, MLIS

Lowell General Hospital

Health Science Library

295 Varnum Ave.

Lowell, MA 01854

Email: dbeales AT lowellgeneral.org

www.lowellgeneral.org/library <http://www.lowellgeneral.org/library>

Tel. 978-937-6247

Fax 978-937-6855

This message and any included attachments are intended only for the use
of the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and protected from
disclosure under applicable law.  Any review, disclosure, transmission,
dissemination, copying or other use of this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the
sender and delete the related message.  Thank you.