It's only $5 a year if you use the license for 10 years, and only upgrade
when support ends for the previous version.  Who does that?  If you buy
new licenses every time a new version is released, it's more like $15-$20.
 Still a bargain, I suppose, but with 1100 computers on our campus, that's
over $20k/yr.

We are transitioning from 2003 to 2007.  We have occasionally run into
issues trying to run, for instance, powerpoints developed in 2007 and
saved in 2003's format on a machine with 2003.  Mostly we uipgrade,
though, because the career center wants to be teaching it's kids the
latest version. They have articulation agreements with local community
colleges that demand it, in fact.  Since I set up Office for automatic
deployment, it doesn't take any more of my time to install office than it
does to install the compatibility pack, anyhow.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418