I believe this issue has been discussed earlier on this List but I thought
I would bring it back as it is presently on my radar.

Student email...

The question... If you create an email account for students (like creating
a Gmail account for them) or, you ask students to use their existing email
account to sign up for a web 2.0 site to use for a class project or
assignment, what liability does the school/district take on if something
inappropriate or illegal occurs through said email account?

Have you addressed this issue  in your IT Policies and Procedures?  If so,
how in-depth does it go and do you feel it really covers the district's
liability?
===============

How are you all handling this issue?

Does written parental permission to allow them to have an email account to
use for school preojects cover the liability issues?

Additionally, can there be a generic permission for them to use their
email accounts for educational projects... for all occurances... or do you
have to get permission for each invividual instance when a student is
asked to use  their email to create an account on a site?

Thanks for your ideas and comments.

Ed

Ed Barry
Director of Information Technology Services
Milton Town School District
42 Herrick Avenue
Milton, VT  05468
(802)893-3210  FAX 893-3227