I agree with Sigurd 100%.  Wordpress is my favorite piece of software available (and I've never not been able to figure out how to do X, no matter how complicated X may be).  I've used it for:

According to Matt Mullenweg (http://ma.tt/ one of the principals of the WP franchise) there are over 100,000 addons/themes/enhancements to WP, and they are all created with a open source GPL.  Additionally, I have zero skill with CSS but have been able to modify the themes to my hearts content (and if I screw something up you can just reload the theme and start over).  Really I can't say enough good things about it.

I just started using Bluehost this past weekend and in about 15 minutes was up and running with a new WP installation.  Page loads are snappy and you can manage every part of your WP installation from the dashboard now (so no FTPing required).  It really couldn't get easier and only costs about 80 dollars per year in hosting fees.

-Joe

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 5:40 AM, Sigurd Andersen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I use bluehost.com, hosting as low as $6.95/month.
Multiple domains at no extra cost - so I've added multiple WordPress sites
to my personal bluehost account for use at Walden School at no cost.
Bluehost (as do other web hosts) has a "simplescript" to install WordPress -
setting up a new site (at a domain name you've registered) takes a few minutes.
Hosted on bluehost
   go to wildwaldenites.us - a "gateway" site to wordpress sites -
   I set up the "everest" site, others are being done by teams of 8th graders.

Am also using free hosting at wordpress.com
On Wordpress.com
   waldenschoolvt.wordpress.com
   mrsmaire.wordpress.com (3rd grade teacher's site, set up with my help, now almost entirely updating on her own)

WordPress software is free, and there are lots of free plugins to add functions.

Sigurd Andersen

Steve Jarrett wrote:
Chittenden East Supervisory Union is researching external web hosting of its school web pages that will include templates and maybe some options such as calendar, survey, notification and intranet.

Please share:
- your external host' name, if you have one
- links to your web sites
- your pro/con experience with vendor
- what features do you recommend

Thank you,
Steve

Steve Jarrett
District Technology Supervisor
Chittenden East Supervisory Union
(802) 858 - 1729
(fax) (802)899-2904

This information may be privileged or confidential and is intended for use solely by the person(s) named above. Review of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited; and distribution or duplication of this communication may not be made without the prior consent of the sender.