________________________________

From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jean Campbell
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 1:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What version of Office are people using?

Lest we not forget that M$ Office 2010 is in beta......

I took a look at it and it doesn't appear to be anything I want to rush
into.

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family
Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If this e-mail contains
student information and you are not entitled to access such information
under FERPA, please notify the sender. Federal regulations require that
you destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward it
to anyone.

>>> Stephen Barner <[log in to unmask]> 12/3/2009 12:46 PM >>>

South Burlington has OO installed on all computers and people can choose
to use it or MS Office 2003.  We are currently discussing moving
entirely to OO, primarily as a budget savings scheme.  The biggest issue
will probably be file formats and the differences in layout when opening
MS Office files in OO, though there are issues with database
compatibility as well.  MS Office macros don't seem to work in OO.
PowerPoint files almost always look a lot different in OO Impress.

It's a tough sell, but I'm told that it would take about $70K to move to
Office 2007.  That's about the total cost of a teaching position.  I'd
happily use OO exclusively, if it meant saving someone's job.

Steve Barner

South Burlington