Discussion of the free (no cost) aspect of Open Source is mostly around saving dollars for school budgets by supplanting proprietary, for-fee software.  While saving $500 - $50,000 is important in this time of plummeting budgets, we rarely discuss the other, more important value of Free software - closing the Digital Divide.  Don Davis put together a nice video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIs8lCzk5k ) about it.  {The content is good - the compression is grim}

Until we can guarantee that each student has access to the software, can we (techs, teachers) fully integrate it into our curricular world?  Since we can give away OpenOffice to every student (and provide refurbished Linux computers to any family without a computer), moving to a Open Office solution district wide would be a significant step to helping close the Divide.  We have to deal with the conversion costs and PD funds moving from 2003 -> 2007 anyway so spend the money on making the switch to a more equitable solution.  Shouldn't we be training them on software they can share with their 21st century skilled, project-based, internationally focused teammates?

Are there school systems in VT that promise to buy a copy of MS Office for every student that needs it?  Perhaps there are but I haven't heard of many.

Bryant Patten
Technology Consultant
Orange East Supervisory Union