________________________________

From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bryant Patten
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 1:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What version of Office are people using?

Discussion of the free (no cost) aspect of Open Source is mostly around
saving dollars for school budgets by supplanting proprietary, for-fee
software.  While saving $500 - $50,000 is important in this time of
plummeting budgets, we rarely discuss the other, more important value of
Free software - closing the Digital Divide.  Don Davis put together a
nice video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIs8lCzk5k ) about it.
{The content is good - the compression is grim}

Until we can guarantee that each student has access to the software, can
we (techs, teachers) fully integrate it into our curricular world?
Since we can give away OpenOffice to every student (and provide
refurbished Linux computers to any family without a computer), moving to
a Open Office solution district wide would be a significant step to
helping close the Divide.  We have to deal with the conversion costs and
PD funds moving from 2003 -> 2007 anyway so spend the money on making
the switch to a more equitable solution.  Shouldn't we be training them
on software they can share with their 21st century skilled,
project-based, internationally focused teammates?

Are there school systems in VT that promise to buy a copy of MS Office
for every student that needs it?  Perhaps there are but I haven't heard
of many.

Bryant Patten
Technology Consultant
Orange East Supervisory Union