Internal email systems can work well for specific class projects, but my
experience has been that they are not very effective in communicating
with students.  Almost all of our high school students have outside
email accounts and most prefer to use these.  If their school email is
internal only, they generally do not check that email account at all,
unless specifically directed to.  I like to get students' outside email
accounts because I sometimes need to contact them during vacations and
after the class has ended, but I prefer to use their school email
accounts during session, as the names they choose for their external
accounts make it difficult to remember which student the account is for
and occasionally students choose offensive account names.

Although students, like most people, would prefer to use one account for
almost all their email, and this will usually make the school account a
secondary one, I would like to see us eventually move to a system where
at least all high school students have accounts that can send and
receive mail both inside and outside the local network.  Obviously, we
need to resolve the potential liability concerns, but it makes little
sense to students to use a restrictive school-based system, when they
can open an unrestricted Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail account for free.  I
have one student who uses an Indian-based Yahoo account, just out of
cultural pride; she likes having the .in TLD in her email address.

Steve Barner
South Burlington High School