Hello, everyone.  I know that US News & World Report annually ranks medical schools, law schools, and other programs.  I have a patron request-she wants to know of other authorities that rank medical schools and law schools.  (I've only found the Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research's rankings by NIH grants http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/NIH_Awards.htm  I don't know how widely accepted this is.)  My patron would probably prefer US-ranking systems, but if you know of a reputable, non-US ranking system for medical or business programs, please let me know.

She also wants to know the objective and subjective criteria for such rankings, as well as the pros and cons of those ranking systems.  I've searched Google and PubMed, but obviously not well.  Please help!

BTW, my patron already has info about the US News & World Report rankings (http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-medical-schools/2009/04/22/medical-school-rankings-methodology.html and http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/pages/articleviewer.aspx?year=2001&issue=10000&article=00005&type=abstract and http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/smd/newsletter/article.cfm?id=146).

My patron would like some preliminary data today, so I really need your help.

As usual, I will summarize to the list.

Thank you,

Tanya

Tanya Feddern-Bekcan, MLIS, AHIP, MOT, OTR/L  formerly Tanya Feddern
305.243.3999 - [log in to unmask] - 305.325.9670 (fax) EBM Theme Director & Reference and Education Librarian Louis Calder Memorial Library University of Miami Miller School of Medicine