I've taken it you've googled for a how-to? A backlight should be cheap
enough to replace so to keep the computer. If anything you might just
direct this person to someone who has more experience with laptop
displays or someone who might know someone or something.

There's also the possibility that it's so trivially easy that it doesn't
have a how-to.