Connie,

we traditionally use the proximal compression for 2 reasons.  first is to
note reflux with compression, second is the siphon effect, I have many times
had to rely on doppler signals when unable to visualize the entire adductor
canal in dvt studies.  a good siphon and brisk augmentation from both sides
can help clear difficult to image segments.

...TJ

To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart.