Phil

 From what I understand, an "ad hoc" international interdisciplinary
Committee (International Union of Phlebology and International
Federation of Anatomical Association) elaborated a revision of the
venous nomenclature in the late 1990s.  The revision was accepted by
the FICAT(Federative International Committee on Anatomical
Terminology).   Now, with that said.. I'm not positive if radiologists
per se where part of the group, but Im certain it was no all
radiologists, in fact a large part of the group was made up of
phlebologists such as Dr. John Bergan.  A good reference article is
Bergan, et al.  "Tthe Superficial Femoral Vein: a potentially lethal
misnomer". JAMA, 1995, 274: 1296-1298

Hope that helps?

Doug Marcum

Doug Marcum