If the angle correct is set parallel to flow, the sampled velocity will be accurate, regardless of what the angle is -- 0, 60, 45, 70 etc. The issue is that the greater the angle utilized, the greater error will be if you are not exactly parallel to flow when the velocity is Sampled. If your angle correct Is off parallel , from flow direction, by 5 degrees the error will be greater at a 70 angle as compared to a 60 angle. pound per pound, bigger angles have the potential for bigger errors in calculated velocity.

From: Cyndi Lufkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:08:29 -0800
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Am I old school now?

I reviewed the archives and followed debates on 11-2003 on Doppler angle of correction. My question is this: Am I being too strict on staff to insist that they do their best to remain as close to 60 degrees as humanly possible even on tough abd/renal cases?  I am a 60 degrees and zero degrees kind of gal ( I do allow them very minimal deviations but never in the range of between 45-15 degrees).  My younger techs argue that when preparing for vascular registry, a source or sources says anything less than 60 degrees is ok.
My primary argument is that with a lab our size, reproducibly would be a huge problem!  Secondly, I have killed myself all these years to go after 60 oro 0 lol.

Cyndi