UVM Tower Logo

The University of Vermont

Office of the President

January 19, 2010

From:               Daniel Mark Fogel, President

To:                   UVM  Community

Re:                   Haiti Relief Efforts

The agony of suffering humanity in Haiti cries out to the world. UVM students, staff, and faculty have been involved with humanitarian work in Haiti and with Haitian migrant communities in the neighboring Dominican Republic for many years, most recently through medical missions and service-learning courses. When the earthquake struck last week, UVM students were working on community gardening projects on the island. Fortunately, our students are safe in the Dominican Republic, continuing their course work and providing what help they can to the relief effort.

Now is the time to build on our established ties and join in solidarity with the people of Haiti to support ongoing relief efforts. We hope to support the efforts under way by sending a check to Partners in Health (PIH), a medical group that has been working in Haiti since 1987. Founded by Dr. Paul Farmer, the subject of this past year's UVM required reading for first-year students—Tracy Kidder’s Mountains Beyond Mountains—PIH has been a model for the world for healthcare delivery to the poor. We are also fortunate that PIH has consulted on past UVM projects in Haiti.

There are a variety of ways to make donations in support of the UVM Haiti Relief Fund:

Partners In Health
P.O. Box 845578
Boston, MA 02284-5578

UVM Haiti Relief Fund
Grasse Mount
411 Main Street

All of the donations will go directly to Partners in Health in Haiti. If your organization is sponsoring an event to raise relief funds for Haiti, send the information to [log in to unmask] by Thursday noon, the week before your event. In addition, the University will collect donations from January 19, 2010 until January 29, 2010 in the spirit of our Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, through “A Week of Giving” program.  Look for information at the events.

The Office of Student Life Leadership and Civic Engagement web site has additional information http://www.uvm.edu/~lce/ on relief efforts in Haiti.

Please join the University of Vermont community in our efforts to raise relief funds for Haiti. Thank you in advance for your support at this critical moment.