The Woodstock Count was held on the coldest day of the count period no
doubt, Tuesday 12/29....wind-chill to 30 below. Both numbers of individuals
and of species suffered (as did us birders!). We had only 32 species and
2227 individuals. But we had some firsts for our 35 year old count!

Species unusual for our count were:

Cedar Waxwing, 230- located in front of the Woodstock Elementary School

Snow Bunting, 12 – seen in both Plymouth (3) and South Woodstock (9)

Green Winged Teal, 1 – a first for our count

Red-bellied Woodpecker, 1 – at a feeder on River Road, Killington

Pied billed Grebe, 1 a first for our count, in an open pool in the Sherburne
Marsh, Killington

Savannah Sparrow, 1 – in Woodstock

Species usually located on the Count, by numbers sighted:

Black-capped Chickadee, 608;

Blue Jay, 287;

European Starling, 229;

American Goldfinch, 188;

Mourning Dove, 130;

Dark-eyed Junco, 92;

Wild Turkey, 55;

American Crow, 52;

Mallard, 47;

White-breasted Nuthatch, 47;

Rock Pigeon, 45;

House Sparrow, 38;

Downy Woodpecker, 29;

Tufted Titmouse, 28;

Hairy Woodpecker, 22;

Northern Cardinal, 21;

American Tree Sparrow, 17;

House Finch, 14;

Raven, 11;

Purple Finch, 9;

Red-tailed Hawk, 3;

Ruffed Grouse, 3;

Black Duck, 2;

Brown Creeper, 2;

Red-breasted Nuthatch, 1;

accipiter sp., glimpsed by a feeder watcher catching a Mourning Dove,
unfortunately not identified to species.

Sally Laughlin ([log in to unmask])