Spurred on by Craig's and by Peter's posts of Hawk Owls I travelled to
Newport and found the Hawk Owl at those very good directios already posted.
However the Hawk Owl was atop the tallest tree on the west side of the road
across from the red 2-car garage/barn.
I did not see the Island Pond Hawk Owl on my way to Moose Bog at the 3.4
mile past the airport entrance but did find 8 White-winged Crossbills (male and
female), 3 Boreal Chickadees, a lone Gray Jay and a Spruce Grouse (female) all
within 200 yds. from the beginning of South America Pond Rd.
as I was leaving "Mad Birders" Scott and Pat Folsom reported that the Island
Pond Hawk Owl was about 3 miles past the airport entrance and exactly where
a snow mobile trail crosses rte.105. I stopped there and true enough the Hawk
owl is atop a conifer on the south side of the road right where the snow
mobile trail crosses. Other species up at Moose Bog included tons od Red-
breasted Nuthatches and Golden-crowned Kinglets.