I saw Evan Jackson's report about the Coot he had seen yesterday afternoon
and despite the very cold chill factor this morning, I gave it a try and was able
to locate it. It was exactly where Evan found it yesterday. (See his posting
for directions). The trail out there is icy with snow cover. It isn't too bad but I
was cautious anyway. The trail did seem to be more slick as I neared the open
water. Once there I located a group of ducks along the north (or left) side of
the cove. I found Hooded and Common Mergansers, Mallards, American Black
Ducks and some Common Goldeneyes. I then looked to the south (or right side
of the cove) and saw a single bird on the outer corner of the cove. I glassed
it and found that it was indeed the Coot. I wanted a closer look and found
one by following the trail that borders the water and is actually in the woods.
This was a much better spot for viewing and lessening the bite of the wind. I
saw the Coot at 8:04 a.m.

Kudos out to Evan for finding this one!!

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead