Took a later than usual tour of the Champlain Valley.
Saw 7 RTs, 2 RLs and 2 Idunnos.
Rts were along Mechanicsville Road in Hinesburg, just South of Vergennes on
RTe 7, North side of 125 just East of McCuen Slang, 2 along Rte 17 East of
the West Addison General Store (WAGS). 2 along Lake Street just North of Tri
Town Road (1 flew over the car and the other was in a short tree right next
to the road).
RLs were along 125 just East of Frosty Lane and alnog 17 east of WAGS.
The Idunnos wwere along Atherton Road and Basin Harbr Road near the
northern terminus of Jersey Street.
Saw two groups of Turkeys: 1 group of 4 along 125 just west of Snake
Moutain Road and a group of 26 East of Sand Road at the intersection with
Little Chicago Road.
Along Arnold Bay Road just South of the intersection with Basin Harbor road
we saw a good sized (at least 20)  band of Robins on both sides of the road.
Walked out to Button Point. It was suprisingly quiet on the way out (not even
a Chickadee call).
At the point we found open water to the West and South of the Island with a
good concentation of ducks- mainly Common Goldeneyes. I tried to "sneak"
out on the rocks for a better look but those birds closest to the point flushed.
You just gotta love the sound of those whistling wings.
It was surprising how quickly the lake closed back up. The preceding weekend
the water was wide open at Tri Town, Button Bay and above, but yesterday
there were just a few small open areas.
On the way back to the car a male Cardinal flew acroos our path by the picnic
pavilion.
Made a quick stop at Ft.Cassin as the daylight was fading, but saw nothing.
There was open water at the mouth of Otter Creek.

Denis and Maria Poley