  Melanie Wilson writes

> I am writing regarding the new ORCID Initiative, "an independent,
> community effort to standardize researcher identification".  This
> work has important ramifications for the representation of
> authors/contributors, so it seems of interest to MEDLIB-L
> participants.

  At this time, I don't understand what this effort is about. The
  announcement talks about "A disambiguated set of authors". It is not
  clear to me what that means. But I have recently been asked to join
  the ORCID technical working group, so I may be able to understand it
  better soon. I am going to my first meeting next Friday, the 22nd.

  I have been the pioneer in author identification by authors
  themselves.  I created what is now the RePEc Author Service for the
  RePEc digital library in economics, at

http://authors.repec.org

  From an independent list of 1000 top authors in economics, over 80%
  are registered. Here is a web page representing the profile of an
  author

http://authors.repec.org/pro/pba251/

  and here are two web pages represent this information within the
  broader context of the RePEc digital library.

http://econpapers.repec.org/RAS/pba251.htm
http://ideas.repec.org/f/pba251.html

  I am working on extension of the RePEc Author Service to all
  disciplines, in a new service called AuthorClaim, see

http://authorclaim.org

  Currently, over 70,000,000 authorships can be claimed. All of the
  PubMed data is claimable there, and there are other datasets.  All
  author profiles are freely available to the public. I intend to
  continue to expand this service. Anybody who wants to help can join
  me.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                http://authorclaim.org/profile/pkr1