  Stuart Spore writes

> Is there anything specific that we should do to encourage MLA's particpation?

  Well I guess it depends what specifically do you want MLA to
  do. Author identity is not a new problem. I am not sure what MLA
  have done in the past. Why would they get involved in the future?

  What I can tell you is that within PubMed, the identification of
  authors is a very difficult problem to solve. For example, consider
  an AuthorClaim web profile

http://authorclaim.org/profile/pda1/

  Looks easy enough. Here is the real profile. It is 1.5 megabytes
  long

ftp://authorclaim.org/d/a/pda1.amf.xml

  That data contains 936 refused items, i.e. items that have the same
  author name, but are done by a different person. It's really the
  auther herself who has to do that work. I can't see it done by
  machine, and I don't see the resources that libraries will do it
  manually. If one thing is clear to me about ORCID, is that it will
  not promote authority control.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                http://authorclaim.org/profile/pkr1