I have that book.

It should be called "Ski Mountaineering" not "Backcountry Skiing," though.
If you ski only in the east it might not be worth getting, although it does
go into a ridiculous amount of detail on speed and efficiency in skinning
and transitions, which is important everywhere.

I haven't used any of the winter rope stuff that it goes into. Maybe I just
haven't pushed it to that level yet, or maybe it's just not really necessary
'round here...

Definitely a great book for aspiring "ski mountaineers" though. And worth a
read for any of us.

- BW