> B/C ski routes OTOH are a consumable resource that deteriorates in quality
> of experience the more it is skied between storms.

Bingo.  Not sure there's a first-tracks equivalent in climbing.

> I believe the photo caption issue was in regards to the analogy of nature
> photographers, not climbers. And typically, it's the photo editor of the
> publication or the author of the article who gets to decide what goes into
> the captions, not the photographer.

Erm - my experience has been slightly different. As a photographer, you
start the captioning process.  Sure, the editor has the right to change it
but the photographer decides what goes into the initial (recommended)
caption. It's not apropos to this conversation, but I'm interested what
other photographers' experiences are.

Back to lurking for a while.