Actually the exact opposite is true. For years conservationists have
realized that the way you protect wilderness is to expose people to it. Let
them know what's out there and what the experience is like even if they
can't experience it themselves.

Don't try and disguise pure selfishness with some kind of BS altruistic
motivation.

Couldn't have said it better Tag. [Wow, Tag and I must have some kind of
mutual admiration pact going]

Although I'm sure many on the list must think I'm some kind of a
burn-and-pilage capitalist (and despite the fact that my 2010 Dodge Laramie
has a chrome roll bar and "a 400hp Hemi unner the hood of that thang") I've
spent much of my life seeking out the same experiences as would any commited
Sierra Club member.  For example, 150+ days of the off-season I pretty much
spend all my spare time trail hiking, giant 55 lb camera backpack in tow.  I
take pride in knowing many of the "secret" wild spots within a 250 mile
radius of my home like the back of my hand.  I readily share the info with
anyone who will take time to listen.  Maybe they wil begn to appreciate them
as much as I do.  I'm a member of a large photographic club and I am booked
to give a photo-guidebook presentation on these wild places to a large group
later this year.

Yep, it's the self-sanctimoniousness that really gets me, the supposed
requirement "to pay your dues."  You want to pay your own dues your own way,
fine.  But, really, why would you even want to give a flying c**p about what
someone else's personal motivation may or may not be in this regard?

Unless it's Gatekeeper Syndrome. Or pure selfishness. Or misplaced
self-importance.  Whatever.

BTW, how many righteously horrifed members of this list later skied in the
Jailhouse Chute area? Maybe trimmed a few trees that weren't Striped Maples.

Leigh