On 1/20/2010 11:58 AM, Matthew Kulas wrote:
> I'll keep climbers in it.  Their impacts are both physical, such as
> the degradation of the rock and associated slopes and in terms of
> wildness.  You can't tell me that North Conway's Cathedral Ledge is
> the same as it was 30 or 40 years ago, or that their is no difference
> between climbing at Rumney and some remote spire in Wrangell/St.
> Elias.

Climbers' damage is mostly incidental and a side effect of a few footprints.

Skiers' damage? Well in the West it's one thing. In the East it's
another: willfull epar and plunder of the natural environment. The mass
alteration of the environment on entire mountain faces, and a
solipsistic, self-serving denial that this is even a problem (which has
originated from you, explicitly, in fact), coupled with a bizarrely
pious point of view that if we merely maintain the status quo of
secrecy, our souls will be slightly cleaner.

You'd do well to substitute your outrospection with introspection.