Actually, Ben, maybe a better philosophical argument would go sometihing
like this:

If a photographer were shoot a new cool spot and then post about it as such:
Dear Ben:

"Wow, man!  You really gotta SEE this new photo I photographed last weekend
at this cool new secret spot I found!!  I wish I could show the actual
photograph but that might lead somebody to discover my secret spot.  So, let
me instead spend some time writing to you about how AWESOME my photo is
without actually showing you the actual photo.

If you really wanted, I guess I could show you some photos NEAR the spot I
took this one to get you psyched.  And then, the next time you fly across
the country to visit my home, if you are still interested, I will physically
show you the photo!!!  And then, if you are STILL interested, I'll actually
take you to shoot the photo yourself because - out of all my friends - you
were the only one who showed enough interest in my photo to fly across the
country to see my photo.

I'm really sorry I can't email the photo to you (or anyone else for that
matter), but trust me, it's not because its not one of the GREATEST photos
I've ever taken, but you know, I had to take a long hike to get to the place
[...inset long obligatory and tedious prose about the raptuous torture on
the climb up...], plus purchase and lug my camera gear, and the spend a
WHOLE LOT OF TIME - HOURS!!!! - messing around in Photoshop with the photo
to make it look just right.

 Again, I'm really sorry I can't let you see the actual photo, but trust me,
it is freakin' awesome photo.  Much better than any photo taken by some
[sniff] tourist photographer at a lame resort like you see all over the
internets.  My secret photo is way too special for that.  But trust me, you
would really like to see my photo!!

Lastly, please don't ask me to describe in any more detail where my spot is
because, well, it's my spot.

With "dues" respect, you would think your friend had lost his mind.

Leigh