I've done the gentle, backchannel suggestion route.  The Opine Creek TR was in response to him telling me that we were wrong and he wasn't going to change.  Which is why I stayed out of this discussion until Ben Bloom asked me to re-post.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Alex Friend <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thanks for reposting that, Roger. Definitely a classic.

The question I have been asking myself is how does one encourage a change in behavior?
I believe that you catch more flies with honey. Or, that people generally respond better to positive suggestions than negative ones. I'm not sure which road we're on at SkiVT-L.

I was thinking that Jay must be an engineer. I looked him up at UVM; he's got a PhD in biochemistry, so close enough. How to reach someone like him, who is essentially a data blogger? Flame, ignore, or gently suggest that there's a better way?

I guess we'll continue with all of the above.

--Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: roger Klinger [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 04:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Camel?sHump State Park/Monroe Trail, VT 17JAN2010

Via backchannel, I have been reminded that once, I too crossed the line with too much information, including very specific geospatial detail.  It has been suggested that I post this again to show that we are all fallible. For those that haven't been around here for that long, I offer the link to the full, absolutely classic(in my mind) tr, below.  Please disregard the repetition halfway through the tr, as it is an error of cut and paste, but be sure to click on the link at the end of the tr, which shows the map of the trip in full detail.

http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0702B&L=SKIVT-L&P=R4588

For those of you that are of the new, photo-only tr generation, and don't enjoy reading,  here is a direct link to the map:
http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/Vermont/Untitled-1.jpg

Now go get lost.