On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:05:37 -0500, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]>
wrote: "Internet forums and listserves like this one pose a grave threat to the
very things that so many of us love about the outdoors"

I think you're giving way too much credit to internet forums and listservs.

There's a lot of reasons why backcountry touring is increasing in popularity.
Drastic improvements in equipment and gear and its wide availability is one.
The unaffordability of resort tickets another.  People's inherent love for the
outdoors and exploration is yet another.

There is no doubt that more people than ever are venturing into VT's
wilderness with skins and skis.  For those that I bump into out there, I don't
think many of them were culling the internet forums and listservs.  The VT
wilderness is very accessible when compared to other states' wilderness
areas.

I also don't mind crossing paths in the backcountry with another person who is
out appreciating the same things as me.  I can't recall meeting a jerk in the
backcountry in VT.  Far from it.  I appreciate the peacefulness and tranquility
of the forest, but I also don't have a problem with seeing a couple of like-
minded people and their tracks.

Finally, if you have a secret stash, don't share it.  If you share it with
someone under some sort of "confidential" terms, and that person goes
blabbing about it on the internet, well then maybe you have a legitimate
beef.  Otherwise, I don't see the problem with posting a TR about an area
that is far from being anyone's personal secret place.