On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:58:17 -0500, Tag <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Actually the exact opposite is true. For years conservationists have
>realized that the way you protect wilderness is to expose people to it. Let
>them know what's out there and what the experience is like even if they
>can't experience it themselves.
>
>Don't try and disguise pure selfishness with some kind of BS altruistic
>motivation.

Not to mention that the wildness TEO seeks to protect is something that he
has personally mutilated for his own purposes. There is nothing wild about it.

Also, presuming that said mutilation is a good thing on some level (for
skiers anyway), consider this. The law of supply and demand has led to the
creation of your stash. You had a demand for powder, and created more
supply. With more skiers coming into the backcountry, that will only happen
again, somewhere else. So the argument that it is different back east has
little merit. Yeah, we have miles of skiable terrain here, but fewer and
fewer access points (taken away due to lack of use, mother nature, or in the
name of wilderness). In VT, you have many access points, if less skiable
terrain, but with manpower that can change. Your supply can meet the demand,
whereas ours will stay more or less constant as more and more cars stream up
Snoqualmie Pass.

Jerm