On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:50:38 -0700, Marc Chrusch >
>I think the key difference is that a climbing route in many ways
>linked to the first ascentionist's ego - if at least as a creation
>more or less for others to climb. There can be a lot of other
>reasons, including the ego stroke of others not being able to do your
>route because it's too difficult. The point is, few climbers want
>their routes to be obscurities or unknowns. Any secrecy involve is
>usually because of sensitive access issues or there are many other
>unclimbed lines and they want to get the FA.

I was just going to post this. Climbers generally want to see a creation of
theirs become a "classic". It is egotistical, but it can improve the experience
because in many cases (especially in wet climates) a climb is only worth doing
if there is some traffic to keep it clean.

A better comparison might be with ice climbing, since a route that sees a lot of
traffic can get beat up. Despite that, I don't see ice climbers as being
particularly territorial, although I cannot call myself an ice climber.

Regarding photo captions, most pictures I see have the name of the route, the
climbing area, the rating, and the climber, all of which are arguably more useful
than GPS coordinates.

Jerm