thanks, Jay, for all the reporting. good stuff.

though there's only so much snow to ski.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Iíve been able to catch up on this thread, but have been a little too busy to respond until now.Iíd never have thought that a trip report about a previously published place would stir up such a hornets nest, but the discussion has been good.I was going to comment on how things had generally been civil, but they went a bit south for a while.Clearly there are folks on the list that have a different perspective than I do with regard to writing trip reports, but Iíve been doing pretty much the same thing for 15 to 20 years.Step 1:ski somewhere, Step 2:write about it with a level of detail that time permits, in the hopes that someonorke can use the information.Sure, Google/GPS plots have replaced drawings on topographic maps and pictures and video are much easier to manipulate, but itís pretty much the same formula.Look at the SkiVT-L description on the web page:

ďFounded in 1988, SKIVT-L began as and remains an electronic mail based listserv style discussion list dealing in all aspects of Vermont Skiing, including eye-witness accounts of terrain and conditions encountered by our team of on-slope reporters and daily Vermont ski and weather reports from the National Weather Service. Best of all, it's free!!Ē

I really enjoyed Leighís post about the photographer; itís very reminiscent of what itís like trying to explain this stuff to friends.Thanks for all the supportive comments.Thanks for all the other comments as well.Itís definitely a fun and lively thread.

-J