A snow report exists to sell a product. It has little utility to those who don't purchase a lift ticket from the mountain issuing the report.

Roger's forecasts provide value in and of themselves to a group of people with no expection of a sale.  I can think of maybe one non-lurker who might have reason to become a client.  The fact that the forecast is professionally produced is of little relevance.  It is far more a contribution to the list than the list is a commercial opportunity to Roger.

- Patrick

From: Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, January 20, 2010 10:42:23 PM
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Best Ski Weather Flash Report note rain Sunday night Monday

Or, perhaps I was just responding to Just.in honestly.

Roger Hill is sending a commercial product to the List, with essentially an advertisment for his company in the subject line.  *To me* it feels like he's using the List for his company's benefit.

I've been busy of late, so perhaps I've missed something, but I haven't noticed one personal post from Roger H. contributing to the List's dialogue.

How would you all feel if say Stratton and Jay Peak started sending their marketing departments' snow reports, sans links. Is that any different?

--Matt K.
P.s. Marc, have you ever considered joining kciDUT-L?