it's times like these that snowmaking and grooming are most valued and why we have so much of it in the east

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM, John Bonin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I'm not an optimist in most aspects of life, but with skiing, it's different.
Last week's conditions were excellent (fresh every day almost).  Saturday was drop dead gorgeous.
And then today.
If it wasn't groomed, it wasn't open.  I found about 100 yards of soft bumps at KMart.  Total.
But that wasn't the thing.
I spent the day doing drills and really working on changing some things.  I would never have the discipline to do that when conditions are good.  The payoff was immediate.  It's great to get a breakthrough, and I had a couple of them today.
So, even though there was nothing but groomed, it was still a great experience.

In fairness, KMart did do an excellent job of bouncing back from a horrific weather event.  Under other circumstances, grooming is vandalism.  But unfortunately, it was necessary this time.