I believe that it is the browser storing the password, not the site. I do not see any check box or option to save the password on the site itself-- only my particular browser's option. And myUVM has always been messed up in the password-remembering compatibility department. It used to be the other way around, e.g. it would save the netID but not the password.

And I've also not only confirmed the problem in Firefox 3.6 and Opera 10.5(beta), but also noticed different issues on these browsers:
Google Chrome: prompts to remember the password, but doesn't.
IE8: never prompts at all.