Why should we even HAVE to purchase a license we won’t use? It’s idiotic. They get us coming and going.

Thanks!

-Brian Cummings

802-656-7300

From: Technology Discussion at UVM [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Geoffrey Duke
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Windows 7 Pro vs Enterprise

Larry, there’s not going to be much difference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/business/windows-version-comparison-chart.aspx

It’s easier to change now, as you mentioned, to align the system with UVM’s typical configuration, which might have some value. But I don’t see Windows 7 Pro being a problem.

One thing I don’t understand, though. All UVM-owned computers can be upgraded from ANY windows OS to the current version. Why buy Win 7 Pro? I can $85 on many custom Dell configs by choosing Windows Home Basic. If you have an option, go for the cheapest version of Windows available when purchasing a system*.

—Geoff

* A system must have some version of Windows purchased with it. Our Campus Agreement covers upgrades to existing Windows OS. Buying a system with Linux disqualifies that system, and you need to buy a Full (i.e., non-upgrade) Windows license for the computer, preferably through the Microsoft Select program via the Computer Depot.