I am a Selectboard member in Wilmington.  There was an open seat two years ago and no one turned in a petition, so I did.  My term is up this year and I turned in a petition to run again.  Even though there is no statutory conflict of interest prohibiting the Town Clerk to hold a Selectboard seat, some folks may not think it’s not a good idea.  I fully expected opposition to my running again, but no one turned in a petition, so I am running unopposed.  I also had to run for Town Clerk this year, also unopposed.  That’s the biggest drawback, when you have to run for both offices in the same year.

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of katharine bergen
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Offices

Hi all,

Just one more question.  The incumbent Selectman just came in and said he is thinking of resigning.  I think I talked him in doing that after the election since the ballots are back.  If he indeed quits, is there any conflict with my applying for the position if I am Assistant Town Clerk/Treasurer?

Thanks again,

Kathy Bergen