There are a handful of property owners who are married and yes, live in separate households.  So they are valid homesteads.

The property owners do not get more of a property adjustment then they should because in all cases the incomes of both spouses must be included on the HI-144 and if both names are on the deed's ownership is also reduced to 50% in the calculation.

Michelle W Wilson, Operations Chief
Property Valuation and Review
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Shields, Eden
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 9:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Residential vs Non Residential

Only an experienced lawyer can give you a complete answer, but setting a housesite rate on both properties clearly violates the basic principle of Act 68, which was to grant a lower tax rate to the "principal residence with appurtenant structures on 2 acres of contiguous ground," or words close to that.  In Eden, they get no comfort from doing that, as our NR rate is almost identical to the Residential rate.

Bruce/ Eden.
----- Original Message -----
From: Town of Burke<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 11:48 AM
Subject: Residential vs Non Residential

Question of the day:  We have a married couple in town, they own two houses.  She lives in one and he lives in the other.  Can they get the residential rate on both.  The two houses are owned jointly by both per the deeds. Sherry/ Burke Listers Office