There are a handful of property owners who are married and yes, live in separate households.  So they are valid homesteads.

The property owners do not get more of a property adjustment then they should because in all cases the incomes of both spouses must be included on the HI-144 and if both names are on the deed’s ownership is also reduced to 50% in the calculation.

Michelle W Wilson, Operations Chief

Property Valuation and Review

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Shields, Eden
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 9:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Residential vs Non Residential

Only an experienced lawyer can give you a complete answer, but setting a housesite rate on both properties clearly violates the basic principle of Act 68, which was to grant a lower tax rate to the "principal residence with appurtenant structures on 2 acres of contiguous ground," or words close to that.  In Eden, they get no comfort from doing that, as our NR rate is almost identical to the Residential rate.

Bruce/ Eden.