Steve,

I assume what you mean by "the organization's constituency" is the public.
If so, yes, that's true. And your points are well taken.  I might quibble
with the idea of equating the relationship between a school board and its
taxpayers with that of a business and its customers (stockholders might be
better), and, while there are other nuances that might be worthy of
further discussion in another, more philosophical, venue, I must concede
that your view of the situation is more logical and accurate than mine.

And, more importantly to other list members, I will now shut up about this
issue. :-)

-Vince