Bryan,

One thought is that the Hosts file has a map between gmail.google.com
and a bogus IP address (old trick to make a site off limits).  I think
the hosts is in somewhere in the Windows folder hierarchy, inside a
folder called etc.  Don't remember exactly.

I've also seen a situation where a clock being years off makes
certificates fail.  Usually it just makes trusted sites untrusted, but
who knows.  And gmail is now https by default....

Craig Lyndes
FCSU