Steve,

At St Albans City School we use filtering to try to keep kids from
accidentally stumbling across inappropriate web sites.  We also filter
using free resources.  We have Dans Guardian running on CentOS.  This is
set to scan web pages, the Naughtiness number is set to 100.  As a
reference, 50 would be for real little kids, 160 for high school.  We
also use OpenDns which has categories and an well maintained list of
sites.  We have "the usual suspects" blocked there.  We have myspace and
facebook blacklisted along with several proxy sites we caught the kids
using.   In looking at our logs I feel like we have successfully chosen
our battlefield, it is facebook, that is what the kids are trying to
access, not porn or other less savory stuff.  We also have you tube and
most other web 2.0 sites open.  Very teacher friendly filtering.
Supervision is our primary tool for controlling what kids do on the
Internet.

Craig Lyndes
FCSU