Rick,

I have 3 networks, the largest of which is at St Albans City School.  The
network at SACS is one broadcast domain.  About 500 computers and lots of
other devices.  No problems with it being one broadcast domain, background
traffic always less than 5%.  The design is no more than 24 100 meg ports
sharing a gig link to the backbone.  No 100 meg switches cascaded through
a 100 meg port, all 100 meg switches have a gig backlink (hp 1700
switches).

No Vlans.  No need at this time.  If we went to VOIP then maybe.  Even
then the switches would still be handling all the traffic so I don't see
the saving.  The "security" arguments for vlans never made much sense to
me.  I trust the passwords and security for my secured devices and keep on
top of that.  I also run NTOP so if someone was making a habit of doing
port scans of my whole class B I would be aware of it and would take
action.

Just put in a new wireless HP MSM760 controller and 33 MSM 410 N radios
(33 Panasonic POE injectors) - $14865 (Thank you stimulus grants).  This
system can do anything, we wanted corner to corner coverage in every
classroom capable of handling one device for each student and teacher.  We
have a radio in every other room, with one upstairs from the skipped
rooms.  This is an open wireless network, optimized for ease of use.  So
far no one has complained.

Craig Lyndes
FCSU

> <<<
>
> Dear School-It List, We are heading down some new paths here and, being
fond
> of not reinventing the wheel, we are looking to see what folks are doing on
> the following fronts: Segmenting, V-Lans and Wireless Infrastructure.
Your input is greatly appreciated.