At Milton, I would say that we are somewhere between A & B (closer to B),
dependant upon the user being filtered.

We use Smartfilter (now by McAfee) on top of an ISA server.  This gives us
the capability to filter by user and thus we have different filtering
packages for staff, high/middle school and elementary school students.  We
choose the categories that we desire to filter (and there are many to
choose from) and we download a list every night that updates the sites
which fall into these categories.
Although we block image search engines (because we are not able to control
the image thumbnails which are returned) we have created a solution for
users to do Google image searches.  This is done by restricting them from
being able to change the preferences.  Thus, we are relying upon Google's
filter to keep inappropriate thumbnails from being returned in the search.

Fred Wadlington, Systems Administrator
Milton Town School District
(802) 893-3210 x1114

School Information Technology Discussion <[log in to unmask]> on