Ok, this topic has been discussed several times, and then discussed
again, so I really don't want to get into a large debate or discussion
about Internet filtering again, but as far as I know nobody has ever
asked the question: What exactly does everyone do for filtering?

Here at South Burlington, we're currently working through the process of
deciding on whether or not to reduce our Internet filtering to the
minimal levels required by CIPA and opening up our filters.  As you can
imagine, there are lots of opinions and cases for reducing the filtering
level, or keeping the level of filtering high (and several other options
in between).

I was asked the other morning what other schools are doing.  I could
only answer anecdotally.  It would be helpful to us (and I suspect to
others as well) if people wouldn't mind taking a moment to briefly share
what you're doing at your school.  In an effort to be respectful of
everyone's time, and to keep the subject focused on facts versus
opinion, I've made a list of several common (albeit generic) choices
which you can use to expedite the process.  If you really feel the need
to share more information, or the choices provided just don't work for
you, the last option is for you.

Please respond to the list, so everyone can share in the information
exchange.

A.   We have a high level of filtering in place (extensive blacklist
subscriptions, additional extensive blacklist entries maintained by the
school, aggressive weighted phrasing scores, blocking pictures & ads,
etc.)

B.   We have a medium level of filtering in place (blacklist
subscriptions, or preconfigured hardware appliances, etc.)

C.   We have a minimum level of filtering in place (minimum blacklists,
little to no weighted phrasing scores, or the least amount of filtering
we interrupt we need to meet CIPA requirements)

D.   No filtering in place at all

E.   Other (something entirely different, or a combination of the above,
etc.)  Please take a moment to briefly share what you're doing.

Currently here at SB, I'd say we're currently somewhere in between
options A and B.

Thanks for your time!

Steve Walker

Information Technology Director