Ok, this topic has been discussed several times, and then discussed again, so I really don’t want to get into a large debate or discussion about Internet filtering again, but as far as I know nobody has ever asked the question: What exactly does everyone do for filtering?

Here at South Burlington, we’re currently working through the process of deciding on whether or not to reduce our Internet filtering to the minimal levels required by CIPA and opening up our filters.  As you can imagine, there are lots of opinions and cases for reducing the filtering level, or keeping the level of filtering high (and several other options in between).

I was asked the other morning what other schools are doing.  I could only answer anecdotally.  It would be helpful to us (and I suspect to others as well) if people wouldn’t mind taking a moment to briefly share what you’re doing at your school.  In an effort to be respectful of everyone’s time, and to keep the subject focused on facts versus opinion, I’ve made a list of several common (albeit generic) choices which you can use to expedite the process.  If you really feel the need to share more information, or the choices provided just don’t work for you, the last option is for you.

Please respond to the list, so everyone can share in the information exchange.

A.   We have a high level of filtering in place (extensive blacklist subscriptions, additional extensive blacklist entries maintained by the school, aggressive weighted phrasing scores, blocking pictures & ads, etc.)

B.   We have a medium level of filtering in place (blacklist subscriptions, or preconfigured hardware appliances, etc.)

C.   We have a minimum level of filtering in place (minimum blacklists, little to no weighted phrasing scores, or the least amount of filtering we interrupt we need to meet CIPA requirements)

D.   No filtering in place at all

E.   Other (something entirely different, or a combination of the above, etc.)  Please take a moment to briefly share what you’re doing.

Currently here at SB, I’d say we’re currently somewhere in between options A and B.

Thanks for your time!

Steve Walker

Information Technology Director

South Burlington School District