From: School Information Technology Discussion [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Everett [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 10:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Thoughts

I'm with Vince on not jumping to conclusions about what really happened. These online "news" sources are not much better than the Enquirer and the TV newszines that are pushing out the network news programs. (please don't take this as a defense of where they seem to be sliding)

There was an application mentioned in a keynote at McAuliffe last fall that's intent was to help you recover your Mac should it be stolen.

It had several features, shutting it down, tracking IP info, sounding an alarm, flashing or shouting (cant remember which) "I'm stolen!", at opportune moments. I recall activating the webcam and seeing who was using the machine if it was in use was one of the options as well. This may not be the exact one: http://www.gadgettrak.com/products/mac/

So I guess if a school had something like that on their Macs, then they could spy on their students, or teachers too for that matter. Does that mean they do or will? Cant imagine time being spent that way.

But if invasions are the concern, there are others that have been put in play at least for some school networks. Yes to protect, but is it always to serve?
Jeff

Rick,

First, we need to note that this issue is in the early stages of litigation; the accusations have not been proven to the satisfaction of a court of law.  But let's, for our purposes here, assume that plaintiff's claims are true; do you think this represents standard practice in American schools today?   Do you think something like this is likely to happen in Townshend?  Or in any Vermont school?  Or occur in any but the most isolated of incidents anywhere in the country?

The tone of your message seems to indicate that you believe it already has and we should man the barricades, as if American educators are involved in a conspiracy to deny our young people their personal privacy.   That's crazy.  Besides, who the hell wants to watch a teenager friending people of Facebook for seven hours at a time?

And as far as knowing "this day was coming", I would say kids' privacy is respected far more today than it was when I was in high school in the early 1960's.  I remember, for instance, that we had a girl expelled from school because she had been involved in a sex act that was considered depraved (but would no longer be in most places today). The act took place outside of school with another party who was not in our school system.  That's 45 years ago or so and I'd say that was a bigger invasion of that girl's privacy (and damage to her life) than you'd likely see happen in a school today.  I think it's proper to be vigilant about privacy violations - with children or anyone else - but I think if you want to "stand up and say,'No more!'", there are more pressing issues than privacy to say it about.  Like underfunded schools and underserved populations.

-Vince