For free solutions.

Dansguardian ~ very powerful and customizable but not the simplest to
configure.

Clarkconnect ~ It is a nicer interface to danscuardian but still requires
technical knowlege to manage.  I believe this also adds full firewall and
router support.

Untangle ~ Easy to configure, easy to set up.  This is a full firewall,
router, content filter replacement in an very easy to use interface.   The
reporting is lacking and I am still waiting on separate filters based on AD
groups (Active Directory integration is only available on the paid
version).

OpenDNS.  This is an external content filter.   The concept is great, you
just change your DNS Fowarders to them and you got filtering.   While you do
get to choose the categories, and manage the black and white lists, this is
all or nothing with no user level reporting.  This is a great solution if
you want to just be compliant and stop the accidental hits.   There is also
no override for them that I know of yet. They do now offer a paid version
which looks like it will make them a very complete solution.

When parents ask me what to use at home I usually recommend:
K9WebProtection: http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

This goes against my roots but we paid for Lightspeed at MSJ. I choose them
because they offered both Antivirus and advanced content filtering for what
it would cost me to just run Antivirus.

Bjorn Behrendt
IT Coordinator
Mount St. Joseph