Craig,
Thank you for your insight about using technology in education.  I agree that you can try to prevent every possible problem that could happen when using technology, but you will often end up preventing learning.  In most cases, where we try to make sure we protect things from happening with technology in schools, there is an educational cost to doing that.

What is the best way to make these prioritizations?
These are educational decisions. In many cases, the decisions are made with a limited educational point of view. We have a large number of schools in Vermont with very good network structures but the educators in the schools have not progressed with technology integration.  Schools need a structure where there is a designated information and communication technology educational leader. Schools need to identify an educational technology structure/committee/group in the schools that is led by the educational leader.  Then have those discussions within that group where there is more than one point of view.

Is it just up to the network admin?
The network admin is a partner in those decisions.  It is not an "either or" situation.  Remember, there is also compromise.

Does anyone else have time or care enough to sit down and look at these issues?
If you don't take care of these issues and leave it one person, you will continue to have scenarios where you place barriers you did not know were barriers.

Charlie