Gen Ed Update

February 4, 2010

To the UVM Campus Community, here are a few updates from the General Education Committee:

AAC&U Gen Ed Institute at UVM June 4-9

The Association of American Colleges and Universities’ Institute on General Education will be held here at UVM, June 4-9, 2010.  This is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about general education models and current issues.  Many of the Gen Ed Committee members will attend.  In addition, the Provost's Office will fund one undergraduate program faculty member from each school and college to attend the conference.  Please speak to your dean if you are interested.  You can learn more about the conference at <http://www.aacu.org/meetings/institute_gened/index.cfm>

Weinstock to Lead Trial of CAT Assessment Tool

Prof. Jackie Weinstock will be soliciting UVM faculty to help trial what she believes to be the best available instrument for formative assessment of critical thinking skills, the Critical Thinking Assessment Test (CAT).  UVM will be one of twenty institutions across the country to trial the CAT in this NSF grant project.  You can find out more about the CAT at http://www.tntech.edu/cat/home/.  The experience gained from this project should be helpful in figuring out approaches to the assessment of Gen Ed learning outcomes at UVM.

Q & A Feature on Gen Ed Website

The Gen Ed Committee has created a Q & A folder on our website to provide responses to questions that we have received in recent weeks.  New items will be added to the Q & A folder on an ongoing basis.  We invite to you to check out this new feature at <http://www.uvm.edu/provost/generaleducation/>.   You can write to us at [log in to unmask].

The members of the General Education Committee:

Alison Armstrong, Eileen CichoskiKelly, Chip Cole, Suzy Comerford, Deborah Ellis, Bryce Jones, Eleanor Miller, Deborah.ORourke, Cathy Paris, Brian Reed, Abu Rizvi, Thomas Rogers, Mary Watzin, and Marti Woodman